In 2018, OMNNI celebrated its 50th anniversary and we took the time to reflect on our successes and appreciate how far we’ve come. I also celebrated my 30th year with OMNNI Associates! Over those 30 years, I was lucky to have been a part of many of the important projects that contributed to OMNNI’s growth.
When I started with OMNNI in 1988, the company had a small staff of 12 and was offering municipal/civil engineering and architectural services. Today, OMNNI has 65 employees and offers transportation engineering, civil/site engineering, survey, architecture, structural engineering, materials testing/geotechnical engineering and environmental services. Our clients include local, state and federal government entities, as well as private sector organizations.
Throughout the years, as OMNNI continued to grow, so did the scope of our projects. Some of our most notable local projects have included:
• Fox Cities Stadium, Grand Chute – Design and Construction Administration
• Downtown College Avenue, Appleton – Roadway Reconstruction and Streetscaping
• Waupaca Interchange and Airport Runway Project – Roadway Design and Construction Administration
• College Avenue Bridge and Roadway, Appleton – Transportation Engineering and Construction Administration
• Leo Frigo Bridge, Green Bay – Emergency Response, Geotechnical and Environmental Testing
• EAA, Oshkosh – Site Engineering and Design
• Wisconsin Avenue, Appleton – Roadway Reconstruction and Streetscape
• Fox River Bridge, Wrightstown – Construction Administration
• SECURA Headquarters Building, Fox Crossing – Site Engineering and Design
• STH 116, Main Street Bridge & Roadway, Winneconne – Design and Construction Administration
• Fox Cities Exhibition Center, Appleton – Geotechnical and Environmental Testing
• Air Rescue Fire Fighting Training Facility, Appleton International Airport – Engineering and Design
• Fox River Navigational System Authority, Kaukauna – Engineering oversight for restoration of the locks system
I’m proud to say that each of these projects have contributed to the growth of the Fox River Valley and many have won state and national awards for engineering excellence.
A Client-Focused Company
Strong client relationships have fueled OMNNI’s successful growth, with 85% of our business coming from repeat customers. OMNNI’s staff is very client-focused; creating and nurturing partnerships throughout the years.
Our engineers are also continually researching new technologies and collaborating with clients for creative, innovative and cost-effective engineering solutions. Our project managers are some of the best in the business and I often hear this from our clients, which makes me very proud.
One project that highlights this innovative spirit is design for the replacement of two bridges in Dodge County. Our engineers designed the bridges using the Geosynthetic Reinforced Soil – Integrated Bridge System (GRS-IBS), an accelerated construction technique. Applying this technique to qualified structures saves time, money and resources. Only one other bridge in Wisconsin had been constructed using GRS-IBS. I’m proud to say, these projects were honored with state and national awards.
Another project that showcases our engineers’ expertise is the new regional Airport Rescue Fire Fighting Training facility being constructed at Appleton International Airport. This facility is a state-of-the-art, specialized training center that will provide training for Midwest area airport firefighters and first responders.
OMNNI is providing design of the ARFF building and control center with fire truck storage on the first floor and electrical fire control on the second floor; site design for a specialized aircraft fire training area including underground liquid propane fuel distribution system; a maneuvering pad for fire trucks and a small parking area. Truly a one-of-a-kind project!
Providing a great place to work is also important to OMNNI. We have nurtured a culture of mutual respect and comradery, and it is a place where people feel safe and accepted. When people are hired at OMNNI, they stay. We have many employees who have been here 10 to 20 years. I think that says a lot about the kind of workplace we provide.
We have also instituted a workplace wellness program which encourages our employees to maintain healthy lifestyles and allows for some friendly competitive fun. In addition, numerous employees take part in the yearly Fox Cities Marathon. More than once, our relay team has finished 1st in our category for the Corporate Relay Race. We also sponsor local charitable organizations where employees can participate in events and drives.
A Bright Future
The future looks bright for OMNNI Associates! Like in any business, there will be challenges along the way, but if we continue to study the market, listen closely to our clients, hire good talent and strive to provide the best services possible, we can optimistically look forward to another successful 50 years.
But again, we couldn’t have done it without our customers and I would like to thank each one of you for your support and friendship. We couldn’t have done it without you!
As we enter 2019, we enthusiastically look forward to what the next 50 years will bring!
Learn more about OMNNI’s Project ExperienceShare: